APP STORE OPTIMISATION: SEO FOR APPS
Improve your rankings on app stores, gain users and drive app installs
It’s not hard to appreciate the importance of ranking well for relevant keywords on the app stores. After all, users browsing in an app store is the main app discovery method.
There are more than two million apps in the major app stores, and getting your app found by users is the main challenge app developers are facing nowadays.
There are a number of app marketing methods, but app store optimisation (or ASO) is probably the most important one.
ASO or app store optimisation is the equivalent of SEO (search engine optimisation) for mobile app search engines such as Apple’s App Store or Google’s Google Play. This app marketing method will help your app rank higher for your target keywords on the app stores. However the app discovery world is a completely different universe compared to search: the main reason is that the app discovery world is not dominated by a single player (obviously Google).
In order to successfully market your app you should aim to be present in all channels and use all the available app marketing methods. It’s all about testing which channel works best for your particular app.
App store optimisation is an essential part of your app promotion strategy. App installs driven through organic search in an app store search engine, as opposed to paid ones, consist of users who find your app on their own, in an organic way, with no ads involved. But why should you go for organic app installs over paid ads?
There are a number of reasons why you might want to choose organic growth through ASO over paid advertising:
1. Revenue. On average, organic app installs result in 80% of total revenue.
2. Affordable. While it will take a bit longer than paid advertising to generate results, it doesn’t require a huge investment. More importantly, paid users spend less, so with ASO you will be acquiring high quality users.
3. Impressive ROI. Once you reach the top position and the desired rankings on the app stores, ASO will be the main traffic source of relevant traffic and the channel that will generate the highest ROI.
APP STORE OPTIMISATION WITH GLOC MEDIA
Our approach to ASO or app store optimisation services
Mobile usage is on the rise and so is the use of mobile apps, which is growing exponentially: the time we spend on apps has increased by 100% over the last few years.
According to recent surveys, 63% of apps are discovered through app store searches, which makes it the most used method for discovering and downloading new apps. At Gloc Media we are experts at developing and marketing successful mobile apps, particularly through ASO or app store optimisation.
App store optimisation services: the process
ASO will help your app reach better rankings on app stores such as Apple’s App Store or Google’s Google Play, and consequently drive more app downloads and installs. We will implement the following steps to make sure your app has every chance to be found when a user searches for a relevant keyword:
1. App title or name. Similarly to a website’s title tag, this is a key element. The title should be kept as short as possible and include, if possible, relevant keywords.
2. Icon. The icon of an app can make a huge difference. You will have about 3 seconds to capture users interest when they glance through the list of apps. Make sure the icon of your app clearly and creatively expresses what your app does. This is more important than you might think and should have lots of thought behind it.
3. Description. This, again, is very similar to the meta description tag of your website. Explain clearly and effectively what the app does and include, if possible, relevant keywords on the description. This is also a key factor when it comes to ASO.
4. Screenshots. We all like to see what an app looks like before downloading it. We are visual beings, so use this wisely and display some attractive screenshots of your app in action. Use screenshots that show your app functionality while highlighting the best parts of it. Remember, we all tend to judge a book by its cover!
5. Reviews. Reviews are probably the most important factor when it comes to conversion rate optimisation. According to estimations from experts 25% or more of your app ranking is based on this factor alone. You want as many users to leave favourable reviews of your app. The more positive reviews your app gets, the higher the conversion rate. Also bear in mind that you want as many reviews as possible but not if these are negative: you should create a way for your customers to connect with you inside your app, so that they will have a place to vent and talk directly to your developer.
6. Ratings. Similarly to reviews, this is a very important aspect for app store optimisation: not only from an ASO perspective, but mainly from a conversion rate perspective. This is a vital factor due to the invaluable importance of user-generated feedback. Apps with good ratings rank higher on app stores. Keep in mind that if we see that 300 people gave 5 out of 5 stars, we tend to assume it must be a great app, and we are extremely more likely to download it.
7. Video. The Google Play store allows you to upload a YouTube video of your app in action. Use this space as another sales pitch and highlight all the parts of your app that you want to users to be aware of.
8. App type. This again applies to Google’s Google Play store. Google divides the apps into 2 main types: they are applications or games. Select the appropriate type for your app.
9. App category. Select the most appropriate categories for your app. There are so many searchers who jump straight into specific categories when they are looking for something. Apple allows a secondary category if your app fits into 2 categories, but try to always treat the primary one as your most important category.
10. Total number of app downloads. The total number of downloads is an extremely important factor to app store optimisation, but you don’t have complete control over this. It also affects the searcher: the more downloads your application has, the higher the chances new users will download the app as well. In order to improve the total number of downloads, you should implement a combination of all the other optimisation techniques described in these lines through a well-designed ASO strategy.
11. Link acquisition strategy. Traditional link building will also help when it comes to ranking higher on app stores. Google’s Google Play uses authority and link equity to determine rankings, meaning links from popular and authoritative websites will boost your search rankings on app stores.
App store optimisation is a strategy that can be adopted in isolation, but it is highly advisable to consider it as part of a wider, multi-channel approach, being part of a general integrated search strategy, as it will have a stronger effect and will add more value to your overall online efforts.
What else to consider on top of ASO services…
If you think app store optimisation services can help you, you should know that we provide a number of ASO-related services that your business could benefit from:
We develop compelling yet attractive apps that successfully engage and convert users.
Smartphone and mobile usage is exponentially increasing, and so is the audience for mobile advertising. Leverage the opportunities given by this platform with infinite possibilities.
Go a step further in your mobile marketing efforts: the usage of mobile PPC advertising has skyrocketed over the last years. Don’t miss this opportunity to leave your competitors behind.
Pay only when a customer calls you. Set a campaign with enhanced mobile ads with click-to-call phone numbers, and have your potential customers directly call you.
Want to find out more?
For any questions you may have, get in touch and find out how we can help you. Whether you want to ask a general question about a digital marketing channel or enquire about what we can do for you, please feel free to drop us a line. We are more than happy to help!